|Making coconut oil|
- Split a coconut with a sharp cleaver. Or go the hard way and hit them on the ground, though you risk spoiling your floors and spilling the coconut water. Use fresh mature coconuts only.
- Scrape the meat of the coconut from the shell. Use a coconut scraper, sharp pairing knife or a sturdy metal spoon.
- Cut the coconut meat into small pieces or shred the coconut flesh with the scraper.
- Put the pieces into a food processor.
- Turn on the food processor to a medium speed and blend until well shredded. Add a little water to help it blend if necessary.
- To obtain the coconut milk. Put a filter or cheesecloth over a wide-mouth jar or bowl. Pour small amounts of the coconut mixture onto the cloth. Wrap the cloth around the coconut mixture and squeeze the milk into the jar. Squeeze hard with your hands, to make sure you get every last drop
- Repeat this process until all of the coconut mixture has been used.
- Refrigerate (not freeze) the jar, the coconut milk and oil will separate and a layer of curd will appear at the top of the jar. Refrigeration hastens the separation process and curd hardens more quickly.
- If you prefer not to refrigerate, leave the jar in a cool room, cover with a plastic wrap/cling film , leave it unattended for at least 24 hours for the curd to set.
- Scoop out the curd with a spoon and discard it. The pure virgin coconut oil is left in the jar.
|Notice the chaff and coconut milk|
- Heat some water on cooker to steam, dont let it boil .
- Cut open the coconuts and Grate the coconut meat into a bowl
- Put the grated coconut in a blender. Blend at medium speed till you have a smooth mixture. Add the hot water to hasten the blending process. Ensure you hold down the blender's lid to avoid it opening causing bodily harm or damage to the blender.
- Strain the coconut liquid. Place cheesecloth or a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl. Pour the pureed coconut over the cloth or strainer so that the coconut milk drips into the bowl. Use a spoon to push the pulp and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Better still, use a muslin cloth and squeeze it over the bowl with your hands. To extract even more liquid, pour more hot water over the pulp and squeeze it again.
- Boil the coconut liquid. Place it in a saucepan on a burner and turn the heat to medium high. Bring it to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, until the water has evaporated and the cream has separated from the oil and turned brown. The process of boiling the liquid until it reaches the right state could take over an hour. Be patient, and stir constantly.
- Once full separation occurs, the oil floats to the top, you can scoop out into jars
|Separating oil from cream|
Tips:1. Use fresh mature coconuts only, these have a brown outer shell, unripe ones have a green tint to them.
2. For coconuts in bulk visit areas close to the ocean with lots of beaches,like The Eko Atlantic , Badagry in Nigeria. The latter have specific market days for massive coconut sales.
3. When getting your coconut oil, ensure it is from a reliable source ,has not been adulterated or mixed with other oils, you know the process is stressful, some can think of cutting corners to get large quantities.
4. Coconut oil has a funny smell for some people, Thats the reason why many run from Idiagbon as the choice hair oil, but you can add strawberry or any other perfume oil if you are using it for body or hair to make it more apppealing.
5. Prevent wastage, use the coconut water to cook coconut rice, the chaff as coconut candy (Only if they have not fermented).
6. The milling method is more preferable if you want to preserve more nutrients and want it as natural as possible.
7. Putting the coconut meat in a freezer to freeze, but not for too long, and thaw out will make the meat softer and easier to process.
How profitable is the coconut business
- Coconut oil has been proven to be healthy as it is chemical free,processed naturally and it is a common choice among people opting for healthy lifestyle choices. It aids body restoration, skin relief, also use in treatment of some diseases and more. Target: Stores, Individuals, shopping oils, pharmacies.
- The oil has many health benefits and when used in moderation in cooking gives the food a slight vanilla taste, exotic aroma and it is non-fattening.Target: Chefs, food specialists, Cooks, restaurants
- Coconut oil is the premium oil to use for natural hair, it has deep conditioning, detangling properties leaving your hair lustrous, silky and shiny. Hair salons, Read Natural oils to keep your hair healthy
- Coconut oil is also ideal for body massage. Target: Body treatments shops,Spas, massage parlors.
- The by product, coconut chaff can be sold to those who make coconut candy. (Sweet alagbon).
- After making your coconut oil, package them in bottles or jars to be resold, start with friends and relatives first.
More Helpful resources:
Connect with me
Drop a comment, share Post with your Friends.
Lets connect on Google+:
Add me on Instagram: @typearlslifestyle
FF me on twitter: @typearls
Like my Facebook page.
Whatsapp/SMS only: 2348038454123