5 home remedy steps in treating minor burns

Above: A day after the burn. Below: 5 days after the burn wearing badge of honour on my leg


This happened to me, so pity me for using my experience to teach others of the danger of home burns.
The best thing is to prevent it, unfortunately, if any accident occurs leading to burns , there are restorative steps you should take. Burns can result from  hot oil as in my case, steam which gives more blisters,hot iron,electric shock,  direct fire,when it occurs,  the first thing is to remove yourself and others present  quickly from the source of heat, once you are sure you are safe and the shock subsided enough for you to think rationally, put off the source of heat, it can be a gas cooker, hot iron, kerosene stove, heater, water kettle, matches, electrical power sockets e.t.c so it does not cause more damage.

Well, I was trying to fry plantain (Dodo) and chicken, the oil overheated, spilled on the gas cooker, the pan caught fire, in trying to bring the  pan down, it spilled on my legs. This scenario can happen to anyone , that is the more reason to be prepared and not be caught unawares. In case of minor burns, here are first home medications to use and first aid to apply.

1. Shea butter , salt, ice block, cold water, corn meal (ogi, pap- not yet prepared): Apply any of these, whichever you can find first, the cold water, ice block provides soothing relief and negates the hot sensation you have immediately after the burn, it also helps to keep the sweeling down to minimum and prevents blisters forming. Corn meal and salt, which hurts most also perform the same function of minimizing skin damage. Shea butter (Ori) helps to prevents scars or black spots from forming after the healing process, therefore you must continue to use till the affected skin area is completely healed.

2. Take pain relievers and antibiotics: Common paracetamol, panadol will do for the pain relievers, Ampliclox is good as antibiotics to help your body system be immune to infection and hasten the healing process. Vitamins B and C also aid in skin Restoration and production of new skin cells.

3. Visit a medical health worker: The health care worker can take a look at the burn and advise on further medical care.

4. Rest and allow the burn to heal in peace: This is not the time to moving around restlessly , as carelessness can cause more damage to the skin or cause the blisters to burst if they get punctured.If you cant stay  in one place long enough, say you are working or must be mobile, wrap a loose gauze around the burn area as pictured above and seal with a plaster, but not too tight, so there is free flow of air. Now there is no chance of the blister bursting accidentally either by a foreign object or you scratching a itch, and if it does, the gauze can absorb it. The itch is normal, its part of the healing process,to relieve it, use soothing lotions containing aloe vera or chamomile.  If the blisters does burst, apply gentian violet on the burnt skin  and get a tetanus injection in the hospital. 

5. Safety first: Always cook in well ventilated rooms, with exits not encumbered wih obstacles to make for easy escape routes, Be conscious when you cooking, boiling or heating anything. Switch off all electrical appliances when not in use, or you will be out of town. Check and always double check , gas turned off properly, lights switched off, sockets properly plugged. Also teach others the dangers of home burn and what to do if it occurs.

Comments

It's great said…
Duke University
Duke University Duke University is a private research university located in Durham, North Carolina,