Gender equality : Can women ever be equal to men? Olori Wuraola Ogunwusi, Oap Freeze, Baba Dee,bible and mine views
Olori Wuraola Ogunwusi: "I am not a feminist and would never marry one. Women need to be careful not to create an imbalance in the society because it would be at the detriment of their children. Let’s be careful not to create an imbalance that will turn Nigeria into another America where everyone has a mum and no daddy. My husband is the king, I am the queen, I am not expected to wear his crown or carry his staff in the name of gender equality"
Corinthians 11:3-10). From the scriptures, one can safely conclude that :
- God created man and woman (Adam and Eve) to be partners but the man should take the lead in that partnership.
- God is head of the man Christ is head of the church, Man is head of the woman and women should submit to their husbands as authority heads.
- Being submissive should not encourage slavery, oppression, violence, denial of basic rights, these are abhorrent to God.
Am also sure other religious faiths teaches that women should be cared for, respected and protected.
2. What does it mean to be equal?
The type of clothes/outfits we wear, achievements, dressing, basic rights, leadership roles expected of each gender, are what the society use to define status of a gender. A man and woman has been created to have the same power of thought processing, reasoning, and solving problems, the only difference is in the physical characteristics of having different reproductive organs.This does not make anyone lesser than the other but at the same time, one must submit to the other to allow for peace and harmony.No two masters can be in the same ship. Equalness means to be treated fairly in the same manner, equal pay, equal right to education, protection, involvement in public/private issues.
3. Insincerity on the part of the advocates of gender equality: Why are they clamouring for women to be equal to men? Right now, there is nothing a man is doing that a woman can not do, what women need to advocate more is for more rights for women who are constant victims of male suppression or violence such as child abuse/ rape victims, uneducated girls e.t.c. In many parts of the world, women are taking dominance in politics, entertainment, religion, government, sports, literature. They are not hindered by the society's expectations or limitations. From the era of old, Queen Sheba, Queen Neferitti, Oueen Cleopatra, Queen Victoria, Queen Amina, Josephine (Napoleon's wife), Antoinette, Jane Eyre, Barbara Cartland, and Now Queen Elizabeth , Chinamanda Adichie, Beyonce, Hillary Clinton, they have conquered the world and they did it with the support of their men.
4. Focus: We should not lose sight of the main issue and focus on irrelevancies. Gender equality is not the solution to stopping crimes, it will only give rise to more complicated issues especially in the African society like higher rate of divorces, wife beatings and killings and raising more weaker and lazier men, men who do not want to be responsible but leave the burden to the independent woman.
5. Definition: There should be real definition about this Gender equality, are the advocates preaching sameness or fairness, because there is so much misinterpretation leading to sexist issues.
In conclusion, women and men are not the same, but must be treated equally. Men and women can co-exist peacefully without unsettling the balance created by nature and God. Men already are egoist beings, a supposed threat to their dominance can only backfire. Women can rule through subtlety and not by aggression.