|A Draw string Ankara Fabric bag|
- 4 square pieces of same Fabric (10" x 16") - 2 pieces as main body of the bag, the remaining two pieces as lining.
- A long length of a contrasting fabric (2" x 20")- To be used as strap/handle.
- Bias ribbon- To neaten the rough edges.
- Sewing machine, needle and thread (Matching colour of fabric).
- Measuring tape, flat surface, marker/Tailor's chalk.
- Office pins, safety pin.
1. Measure and cut out the fabrics needed.
2. Take 2 pieces of fabric , let the Right sides facing each other, mark a 1" sewing allowance using a chalk or pencil, pin along these edges. Sew along the edges, the bottom edge and two sides, leaving the top open.
Remember to remove pins as you sew to avoid damaging the machine or breaking the needle.
3. Repeat (2) for the main pieces of the bag's body. Turn inside out. Use safety pin/scissors to push the bottom corners out well, to prevent misshape or bulkiness.
4. Iron and neaten out the sewn pieces.
5. Insert the lining into the main bag.
|See the inside of the bag, great depth.|
6. Fold the top edges by 1.5" outside,
sew on the bias ribbon along the folded edges leaving a 1' opening allowance, to pull the strap through.
(You can pin the ribbon together with the fabric along the edges to hold your work in place before sewing ).
7. Twist the fabric to be used as strap, using a safety pin, insert through the hole opening , push the handle through till it gets to the starting point. Knot both ends together and draw.
8. Your drawstring bag is ready.
Note: You can use a contrasting color for the lining or same fabric for strap.
Cord, ribbon, chain can be use for straps.