What occurs before, during and after miscarriage? Can A woman still conceive? Yes she can absolutely.
Factors leading to Miscarriage:
- Hormonal problems, infections or maternal health problems
- Lifestyle (i.e. smoking, drug use, malnutrition, excessive caffeine and exposure to radiation or toxic substances)
- Implantation of the egg into the uterine lining does not occur properly.
- Maternal age: Older women have higher risks of having miscarriages
- Maternal trauma: Say a hit or blow to the woman's womb, depression or willing a miscarriage to happen.
- Previous numerous abortions
A woman may observe spotting (Passing out blood during pregnancy) , which is an indication of a miscarriage occurring. Spotting may be or not regular, as some women who spot go on to have normal pregnancies, but a visit to the hospital will confirm if it is normal or not.
Usually a miscarriage occurrence can be partial or complete, a woman may miscarry and in the next few days pass out the unformed fetus during the next menstrual cycle with little or no pain. While some miscarriages are more complicated and come with extra discomfort, pain , cramps and back pain. In these cases, a medical attention is needed.
Other signs you will probably notice include:
Passing out of clots
Decrease in pregnancy symptoms: You will suddenly feel as if you are no longer pregnant.
Cramps and contractions:
During the Miscarriage:
Oxytocin: Drug usually given to induce childbirth. This is administered to induce a complete abortion.
If a complete miscarriage does not occur , a surgical operation is necessary. It can be either a dilation and curettage (D&C) for a 1st trimester (Below 3 months) procedure or a dilation and Evacuation (D&E) for as second trimester (3-6 months) procedure .
Dilation: A speculum /dilator is used to dilate (wider opening of the) cervix
Curettage/ Evacuation/Vacuum Aspiration : These are distinct procedures used to empty uterine contents. The medical practitioner introduces special instruments inside the woman's vagina and scrapes out the foetus/tissue lining the uterus. He investigates to ensure all tissue is evacuated and the woman's womb is not affected. Done under an experienced gynecologists/ doctor, it is a safe operation and takes less than 10 minutes.
After Miscarriage : Rest and get enough sleep
Some Drugs are administered to help through the recovery process:
Cytotec (Misoprostol)- To ensure all remaining foetus tissue is passed out
Diclofenac : This is a pain reliever drug to reduce pains associated with stomach cramps, headaches and any other pain.
Blood capsules: For blood rejuvenation.
Flagyl (metronidazole) : To treat stomach and vagina infections, aid in relieving constipation and pass out excess toxins in the stomach
Strong Antibiotic (Containing ampicillin): To heal the stomach wounds , uterus and eliminate any infection risk. Even urinary tract infection will also be treated.
1. Acceptance: Accept that the miscarriage has occured and there is nothing you can do to bring back the bay, relieving the xeoerience will only slow down the healling and recovery process.
2. Get support: If sharing your experience with friends, elderly ones, health worker,a support group or relatives will help you get over it quickly. Please do and find help as soon as you can. Support and good advice will encourage and lead you through the recovery process.
3.Start living a normal life a soon as possible: the earlier you get back into daily living, the better, you can resume work and other activities as you would do them.
4. Get your sex life back: You can safely resume sex as soon as you feel up to it. It is not the time to feel separate or estrange your partner. Talk and communicate with each other. Sex is an important part of a strong relationship. Denying sex to your partner will only ruin the relationship you are trying to build.
5. Never feel guilty or cast blame: Miscarriage occurs for different reasons, there are circumstances where you can save the baby, but in most cases, there is nothing you can do,some miscarriages occur as a way of expelling unhealthy fetus or babies which have defects. So be glad , put your mind at rest and allow nature to take its course.
Preparing to have another child:
Having another pregnancy should not be a trial or as tedious, though you might want to give yourself some time for your body to recover.
1. Eat healthy: Fruits and lots of fluids should constitute major part of your diet.
2. Have medical checks: Especially if you are prone to miscarriages, and you have had more than one, Tightening of womb, womb flushing or special drugs will need to be given to help you conceive and carry the pregnancy to full term successfully.
3. Do not be anxious, worried or allow your emotions take flight: This is is the period you need to be more focused , relaxed and be in control of your emotions.
4. Be positive: Confess positive thoughts and words always. Never wish your baby ill or entertain evil thoughts no matte the circumstances, say your partner is not supportive, there is financial distress or you feel depressed. All those situations will pass. Look forward to the conception and birth of your child with all happiness and joy.